Lately, Lloyd and I have been spending our evenings taking walks and drives through our dream neighborhoods in Kansas City.
We’re still a good 2 years off from buying a house (we still have to get engaged, married, and all that jazz before we can buy a house) but one of our favorite pastimes is daydreaming about our perfect house.
We have the vicinity pretty much narrowed down, but here are some other things that we want in our perfect house:
- Basement: We want a basement for a couple reasons. First, houses with basements have better resale values in the Midwest than those without basements (hi there, welcome to Tornado Alley). Second, we want to make a home gym in our house. We are both very passionate about fitness and would probably go crazy if we couldn’t work out. We’ve both always really wanted our own home gym and plan to go for it when we buy our own place.
- Pool: In the neighborhood, not the backyard. I love the pool, I love the sun, I love the summer. I wanna pool!
- Updated Kitchen: No more crappy apartment kitchens! Like this…
- Spanish Tile: Oh Spanish Tile, how you taunt me. I love, love, loooove the look of Spanish Tile. So mysterious, drug dealer-ish, and southwestern-looking. Not that I want people to think I’m a drug dealer or anything…I just love the whole look that is exudes. However, that shiz is expensive. It might have to wait until our second or third house. But just for grins, here is a fantasy picture of a house that I love:
- 2 (maybe 3) Car Garage: I despise walking out into the snow during the winter. Actually, I despise the winter all together.
- Close to the Interstate: I have road rage. It’s worse on the city streets.
- Trees!: Which means, a little older neighborhood. Also, must have two trees sort of close together so I can put up a hammock. I’ve dreamt of a hammock all my life and I want one when I finally have a house!
- Concrete Patio: So I don’t burn the place down! Which brings me to my next requirement…
- Big Backyard: We’re both big time dog lovers and can’t wait until we can get a little pooch to run around our backyard.
- Fattie Whirlpool Bathtub: I haven’t taken a luxurious bubble bath in years. Apartment tubs kinda gross me out. I’m hoping my new home’s tub is super clean and luxurious so I can take some darn baths! (Editor’s Note: I DO take showers.)
- Attic Fan: Is this just a Midwest thing? If you don’t know what an attic fan is, you are missing out! Check out the details here. I love attic fans and they seriously cool the heck out of your house without having the air conditioning on. Unfortunately, I think they are becoming extinct. Sad face.
Too much to ask? I hope not. You may have noticed that I don’t really have a preference on size. I’d prefer a smaller house even – cheaper utilities and less space to clean. 😉
Now…on to that whole saving $40,000 thing…