I am a die-hard brown-bagger. It just makes so much more sense to bring your own lunch to work every day instead of buying lunch out. Plus, you can make your own lunches a lot healthier than the choices you might find at restaurants (or fast food joints).
I am also a creature of habit. If I try a wrap recipe I like, I’ll make wraps for a few weeks straight, trying out different ingredients, types of wrap, etc. Most of the time during the summer, I bring salads to work every day…the different types of salad you can make are never-ending, and I love experimenting with them!
Now that the weather’s turned colder, I am officially on my cold weather soup kick. There is nothing like a warm bowl of soup on a windy, gray day. And, like with salads, the kinds of soup you can make are infinite.
Today I thought I’d share with you some of my current favorite soup recipes. I like to make a big pot of soup on Sunday (when The Hubby is in his football coma), then take Pyrex containers of it to work during the week that I can heat up in the office microwave. Each week is a different soup, so it never gets boring.
Some of my favorite soup recipes right now:
(In case you can’t tell, I get my recipes by doing random searches on allrecipes.com. What can I say…I like being able to see how things are reviewed before trying them!)
- Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup – You can add any veggie you want to this, and it’s super-filling!
- Ham and Potato Soup – Also nice and filling, and it just tastes like comfort food.
- Black Bean and Salsa Soup – Something a little different, and super-quick to make.
- Vegetarian Tortilla Soup – Also something different (and yummy!). You can also make it vegan if you leave out the cheese garnish.
- Homemade Hamburger Soup – I just discovered this one, and The Hubby and I seriously love it!
- Split Pea Soup – Because a soup list wouldn’t be complete with pea soup, at least in my opinion. 🙂
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Apples and Bacon Soup – This one takes a while to make (about an hour a half!), so I usually only make it when we’re having guests over. (I brought it to our family Thanksgiving potluck last year, and everyone loved it!) But I saw the name and was so interested I had to give it a try—and it’s well worth the effort!
What favorite soup recipes do you have? I’m looking to add to my recipe book!
photo credit (and all recipes from): allrecipes.com