Long before G and I started saving for a down payment on our home, we saved a pretty sizable New Home Expense Fund. It was really G’s idea to save for that prior to a down payment and it really worked out for the better. Had we saved our down payment first, we would have been tempted to buy a house without saving anything to furnish, decorate and maintain the house.
We’re still saving for our down payment, but we have met our savings goal for our New Home Expense Fund.
Since we’re skipping the starter house, our first house will be pretty big. Much bigger than the 2 bedroom apartment we’re used to. We’ll have to spend a ton of moolah to furnish and decorate the new pad.
The biggest items we’ll need to purchase are:
- master bedroom furniture (yay, king bed)
- living room furniture
- dining room furniture
- patio furniture
- many, many decorations*
- house maintenance stuff (lawn mower, outdoor stuff)
- a grill!
- possibly kitchen appliances (if they don’t come with the house or need replacing)
*I say many, many decorations because I haven’t decorated in years. Our wall hangings are the same ones we had in college and the ones I bought when I moved out on my own almost 6 years ago. So … we’ll need to decorate and I’m pumped about that!
As you can see, that’s a lot of stuff. I am so proud of G and myself for saving for expenses like these before our down payment. It will be a lot of fun to go shopping for furniture without worrying about accumulating any debt in the process. Financial freedom win.
Since we’ll have so much to buy for our new casa, I’m planning to start an inspiration folder. After years of planning and saving, I want our house to look really nice and reflect our personalities. I’ve already started perusing home design blogs. Here are my current favorites:
(I so obsessed with home design blogs right now, I’m even thinking about starting one when we buy a house. Crazy, I know. Especially since I am FAR from a designer.)
There are two reasons I want to start looking for design ideas right now:
1. Since I have no design experience, I have a feeling putting together a nice home is going to be a lot of work for me. Gotta start early.
2. I look at pictures of homes for sale almost every day now. Probably 80% of those houses showcase horrible interior design. Like, it’s time to step out of the ‘80s, people. I really don’t want my house to look out-dated, uncomfortable, or embarrassing.
So, that’s where we’re at in home-shopping/buying process right now! We’re planning to get out and REALLY look at houses in December! Only 3 more months!
Where do you get home design inspiration? Blogs, magazines, websites, etc…