As part of my New Year’s resolutions, I vowed to lose 10 pounds and get back down to my pre-CPA weight. The main drive behind this goal? My upcoming wedding, of course. I’m pretty proud of the way I look right now, but I just want to get back my “happy” weight and also look good in a white dress (which, as we all know, isn’t quite as slimming as the color black).
I’m happy to report that I’ve finally shaken about 5 pounds off my frame. FINALLY! I was hovering around 142.5 for SO long, and now I’m back to about 137.5-138.0. My goal for the end of January was 138.2, so I’ve already surpassed that goal.
So, how am I doing it?
The old-fashioned way, of course: hard workouts including heavy lifting, sprinting, and cardio intervals and clean eating. (Sorry, I don’t have the magic ticket. There just isn’t one. Exercise + clean eats never fails.) Here are some more details about my current routine:
- 6 days of workouts. I’ve been working out 6 days per week. It may seem like a lot, but I don’t have kids, so I really have no excuse. Like I said in my infamous Staying Motivated to Work Out post, what the heck else am I going to do?
- 4 days of cardio. Usually involves running, the rotating stair stepper (that thing is freaking tough!), or a class like kickboxing or spinning. My runs usually last between 20-30 minutes depending on how I’m feeling or how much time I have. They aren’t easy though (when is running ever easy?) – I sprint at 7.0 mph every 90 seconds.
- 4 days of heavy lifting. I’ve been doing arms, back, chest, and abs. Heavy. I am so loving lifting again. Sure, you don’t see immediate results from lifting, but when the muscle weight gain and the metabolism surge finally level out, the weight just seems to MELT off. I love it and I love weight lifting!
- Sprints. Supposedly really effective for fat burn. At least that’s what my BFF figure competitor best friend always tells me. These are super easy and quick, too. I generally do these after I lift. On the treadmill, I’ll sprint at 9.0+ mph for 30 seconds and then rest for 1 minute. Right now, I’m only doing 5 sprints, twice a week, but plan to increase this the closer I get to the wedding.
- Eating more frequently. This is seriously a problem for me. I often forget to eat throughout the day. Bad, bad, BAD for your metabolism! Since I switched to eating every 2-3 hours, I have really noticed a difference. Not only do I feel better and have more energy, it really kicks my metabolism into high gear.
- Protein, protein, protein. Blech. Protein is sooo lame. I don’t really LOVE protein, but I’ve been eating more of it. Every time I kick up the protein, I loose weight pretty quickly. My main protein sources are coming from plain greek yogurt, protein powder, chicken, deli meat, protein bars, eggs, ground turkey, and sometimes ground beef.
- Protein + complex carbs combo. Research shows that if you eat these two things together, they work more efficiently in your body to burn fat and keep your energy and metabolism up. I think it works. I’m eating about 5 or 5 1/2 meals per day and they’re always a combination of these two things. (Complex carbs = not bad carbs. Basically nothing white. Complex carbs are things like fruit, whole grains. sweet potatoes, etc..)
- Veggies. Ughhh, veggies. I don’t HATE veggies, I just don’t LOVE them. I love a good side of sautéed asparagus or broccoli, but that’s about it. Surprisingly, I’m not very fond of salads, either. But, we’re working on our relationship.
It may seem complicated, but it’s really not. For example, here’s what I’ve been eating this week:
- Breakfast: oats with protein powder, peanut butter, cocoa, and a splash of skim milk (delicious! I call it No-Bake Cookie Oatmeal and, yes, I’m obsessed.) OR a smoothie with spinach, fruit, plain greek yogurt, and oats
- Snack: protein bar (when I’m trying to lose weight, I usually eat Pure Protein bars)
- Lunch: turkey meatballs in no added sugar marinara sauce (YUM!) with an orange and raw veggies (made some Sunday night and have been eating leftovers)
- Snack: plain greek yogurt with no-calorie sweetener and a touch of granola & some berries
- Dinner: ham, egg, and cheese sandwich OR chicken, sweet potato, and veggies OR some other protein/carb combo
- Snack: if I’m hungry, I might have a glass of skim milk … but generally I’m not really hungry
My ultimate goal for the end of March (when I’ll get my dress altered) was going to be 133.0, but I may even be able to surpass that. I NEVER plan to weigh less than 130.0 (since I’m 5’7” and have a good deal of muscle on my bod).
I want to note that I usually don’t focus as much on the number, but more on staying active and eating healthy. I know I’ve been focused on the number for awhile, but that’s because 1) my wedding (and my honeymoon in Mexico!) is looming, and 2) it’s not where it should be. But, I’m now less than 5 pounds away from my happy weight, so things are looking up!
What’s your favorite lean protein recipe? (I need ideas …. ha.)